IRS Data Retrieval Process
The IRS Data Retrieval tool will enable you to renew or complete your 2012-2013 FAFSA with ease and accuracy by electronically transferring your and/or your parents 2011 income tax information onto your FAFSA application. The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is accessible through the FAFSA web site www.fafsa.ed.gov.
BENEFITS OF USING THE TOOL:
- Applicants can complete their FAFSA more easily and accurately!
- The tool will increase the accuracy in the awarding for student financial aid funds!
- Applicants selected for verification can use the tool to update their income information and avoid unnecessary processing delays!
WHEN WILL DATA BE AVAILABLE FROM THE IRS?
Electronic Tax Filers Data will be available within 2 weeks of filing
Paper Tax Filers Data will be available within 6 – 8 weeks of filing
If you plan to submit your FAFSA before you and/or your parents complete and submit your 2011 Federal Tax Return, then be sure to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to update your FAFSA record once the returns have been submitted and the income data is available to be retrieved.
WHO IS “NOT” ELIGIBLE TO USE THE TOOL?
- Married couples who file separate tax returns.
- Applicants whose marital status has changed as of January 1st, 2012.
- Applicants who are neither eligible nor required to file a 2011 Federal Tax Return.
If your 2012-2013 FAFSA is selected for a process called verification and you and your parents were eligible to file a 2011 federal tax return, you will be required to:
Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to update your and/or your parent or spouse income information; (OR) You and/or your parents or spouse may request a Tax Transcript from the IRS to submit to the Financial Aid Office to verify your income information.
Click here to view a short video on the IRS Data Retrieval Process