We review your eligibility for federal grants upon receiving your financial aid application. Grants are awarded based on financial need and do not need to be repaid if the term attended is successfully completed.

The Financial Aid Office at CSUMB will automatically assess your eligibility for the following grants.


The Federal Pell Grant is available to students pursuing their first undergraduate degree and to students enrolled in the Teacher Credential Program who meet Federal eligibility guidelines. The Pell Grant for the 2012-13 academic year ranges from $575 to $5,550 depending on enrollment and EFC. Effective July 1, 2012, duration of eligibility is equivalent of 12 full-time semesters.


The FSEOG Grant is for undergraduates who are pursuing their first undergraduate degree and have exceptional financial need and. Priority is given to students with a Zero EFC (expected family contribution). The FSEOG grant for the 2012-2013 academic year ranges from $100 to $400.


The EOP grant is available to undergraduate students admitted to CSUMB through the EOP Program. Due to limited state funds, not all EOP students are selected for EOP grants. For additional information & deadline, visit the EOP Website.


The State University Grant (SUG) is for students who are residents of California. Priority is given to undergraduate students who have an EFC between 0-1000. Students receiving a tuition fee payment from other programs such as: CSU Employee Fee Waiver, Vocational Rehabilitation, California Veterans Waiver, Over 60's Waiver, and Cal Grant A, B, are not eligible to receive a SUG. Failure to notify the Financial Aid Office and/or the CSUMB Veteran's Services Office of your Vet Fee Waiver, will jeopardize any prior estimated Financial Aid.


CSUMB's Residential Life Scholarship provides assistance to first time freshmen living on main campus in the Residence Halls and the North Quad Suites. Students must have an incoming GPA of 3.5 or above, full time enrollment, complete a FAFSA, and demonstrate financial need. Recipients are selected by the Financial Aid Office. Due to limited funding, not all qualified students receive this grant.

The Financial Aid Office at CSUMB will facilitate your eligiblity for the following grants. Additional steps may be required from you as the student. Read thoroughly


Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program to provide grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.

To qualify for the TEACH grant, a student must annually complete the following (in this order):

  1. Complete a FAFSA
  2. TEACH Entrance Counseling on the TEACH website
  3. TEACH Grant Request form on the Financial Aid Website
  4. Agreement to Serve on the TEACH website

At CSUMB, TEACH grants are available only to students admitted into an eligible teaching credential or approved graduate program. Be aware that a federal TEACH grant will be converted into a unsubsidized Direct Loan if the student fails to meet all of the requirements in the TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve. Interest will be calculated retroactively based on the grant disbursement dates. Students who complete their eligible program at CSUMB are required to complete TEACH Exit Counseling on the TEACH website.  


The State of California offers state grants to eligible Undergraduate and Teacher Credential students who are California residents. Cal Grants are for payment of registration fees. Initial awards are based on financial need, grade point average, and income eligibility. Renewals are based on financial need and satisfactory academic progress. For 2012-2013 Income & Asset Ceilings established by the California Student Aid Commission, click here.

Recipients of any California State Grant are notified of their eligibility in writing by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) in early Summer. To be considered for the Cal Grant program, you must file a FAFSA (all students) and submit the Cal Grant GPA Verification Form (first time freshman only) by the state deadline of March 2nd. To view your Cal Grant eligibility, log onto Webgrants for Students.

CAL Grant A initial awards are available to undergraduate students with both need and academic merit. This award pays state fees. Grants are renewable through the 4th year of college and for the Teaching Credential Program.

CAL Grant B initial awards provide a stipend of $1,551 for first bachelor degree students demonstrating high financial need and academic merit. Renewal Cal B awards include both a fee payment and the stipend.

CAL Grant T  (Program not accepting new applications)

Due to severe budget constraints the initial application process for the Cal Grant T Program was discontinued in 2003. The Governor and California State Legislature have not permitted new awards for the Cal Grant T program since the 2002-2003 academic year; however, the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) currently tracks recipients who were awarded the Cal Grant T prior to 2003.

The Cal Grant T award was designed to help post-baccalaureate students pursue their initial California teaching credential. Eligible participants who attended credential programs at colleges and universities approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) received tuition and fee assistance for up to one academic year. Prior to receiving tuition payments for their credential program, eligible participants signed a Teaching Service Agreement (TSA) which requires recipients to either;

Provide one year of teaching service in a qualifying California public low-performing school for every $2,000 tuition received for up to 4 consecutive years or repay the total amount of tuition received which was not repaid through eligible teaching service.

Current Participants — If you are a Cal Grant T recipient and you are in repayment please send all payments to:

California Student Aid Commission
Attn: Accounting Cal T
P.O. Box 419026
Rancho Cordova, Ca 95741-9026


Students in foster care who have financial need, may qualify for up to $5,000 a year. To qualify, students must be a current or former foster youth and not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year. The court must have established dependency between the ages of 16 and 18. (KinGap youth, adopted youth, guardian placement, and voluntary placement may not be eligible for the Chafee Grant, unless court dependence was established, at anytime, between the ages of 16 and 18). The California Department of Social Services will verify your foster youth eligibility status. For more information visit the California CHAFEE Grant for foster youth website.

Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant

For students who are not Federal Pell Grant eligible; whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11/01; and who, at the time of the parent's or guardian's death, were less than 24 years old or were enrolled at least part-time at an institution of higher education. The maximum award is $5,550 and is adjusted for less-than-full time study. The grant award is  – not to exceed the cost of attendance for that award year. For more information contact the Financial Aid Office.

California National Guard Education Assistance Award Program

For students who are active members in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia may be eligible for a state-funded program designed to provide an educational incentive to improve your skills, competencies, and abilities. Visit the CNG EAAP Website for more information.

Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Grant Program

The Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Grant Program provides need-based educational grants to dependents and spouses of: California peace officers (Highway Patrol, marshals, sheriffs, police officers), Department of Corrections and California Youth Authority employees, and permanent/full-time firefighters employed by public entities who have been killed in the performance of duty or totally disabled as a result of an accident or injury caused by external violence or physical force incurred in the performance of duty. Grant awards match the amount of a Cal Grant award and range from $100 to $12,192 for up to four years. Visit the California Student Aid Commission Website for more information.